Keeping your Home in Anchorage, AK Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Our homes should be places of comfort, relaxation and memories. That’s why it is important to protect your homes from dangers such as fires, theft and one people too often overlook: carbon monoxide (CO).
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when fuels such as wood, oil, natural gas and propane are not efficiently burned. Carbon monoxide can be produced by your household equipment such as generators, lawn mowers, barbeques and your furnace.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that each year, 170 people in the United States are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes. These deaths can be caused when equipment malfunctions or when the products are used in areas that are not properly ventilated, such as a closed room.
The Center for Disease Control lists the common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as headache, dizziness, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
The good news about all this is that protecting your family from CO poisoning is relatively simple.
Follow these tips for Carbon Monoxide poisoning prevention:
- Always have your home’s gas burning furnace, water heater and fireplace serviced by a professional. A professional will ensure the appliance is burning properly and is properly vented.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home (newly constructed homes, apartments and condominiums will likely already have these installed). For an extra level of protection, consider installing a CO alarm in every bedroom of your house.
- Never leave a car idling in a garage
- Keep portable generators at least 20feet from an open window
- Never use a charcoal barbeque inside a home, tent or camper
- Never use a gas oven to heat a home
Even a single carbon monoxide detector in your home could save lives. If you rent a home or apartment that does not currently have a carbon monoxide detector, ask your landlord to provide one. Many states require that homes have them installed. Review your state laws here.
If you have questions about your home, auto or business insurance, call the insurance agents at JC Morris Insurance Agency in Anchorage, AK. Since they live where you do, they understand the unique challenges Alaskans face with their insurance. With years of insurance experience they can easily help you insure everything from your home to your auto or business Insurance. Because they’re an independent insurance agent, they can help you find the right company to fit your needs. You can also check out their website, 24/7.